- Expertly Crafted
- Peace of Mind
Celebrity chef Akira Back has restaurants all over the world, but it’s Las Vegas that he chose to call home. “My first impression of Las Vegas was loud,” says Back. “But I soon discover that it’s very quiet, away from the Strip, it has a community feel. That’s why I still live there.”
Try the three Michelin star Joel Robuchon Restaurant. Don’t worry about what to order. Just sit and get ready to eat - he will make you 32 different courses. You should also come to my restaurant – Yellowtail Japanese Restaurant & Lounge. I’ve been there 11 years – that’s a long time in Las Vegas. You will be how many famous chefs from throughout the world go there and don’t do well. You should also try Lotus of Siam outside the Strip. They serve up Thai food that’s very, very good.
Take in a show. My favourite show is still ‘O’ – a water-themed show by Cirque du Soleil. They have a pool, which they dive into, then the pool is covered over and turns into a dance floor. I love the show so much it has given me inspiration for my next restaurant. It will take me three years to get this concept off the ground, but it’s happening. I plan to have a day-to-night restaurant, which features a pool and is set over three levels.
Go to the Hyde Bellagio. This rooftop bar designed by Philippe Starck gives you a great view of the strip and you also get to see the amazing Bellagio fountains.
Get out of the city and into the fresh air. My favourite thing to do on the weekend is to Lake Mead, which is 20 minutes from my house. There is so much to do there. Hiking, mountain biking, kayaking… You just have to wake up early before the temperature starts to rise.
Take a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. It’s the best way to experience it.
Chef Akira Back was in Singapore celebrating the launch of his new menu at Akira Back Singapore, JW Marriott Singapore South Beach. Look out for apple smoked A4 Tochigi Striploin and an adventurous twists on sashimi - Hirachi Carpaccio with jalapenos.
From $7,400 pp
- Visit the highlights and pubs in Dublin
- Admire Powerscourt – one of the finest gardens in Europe
- Learn about the crystal producing in Waterford
- Driving through Ireland’s best scenery – Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Cliff of Moher
When to go:
From $6,500 pp
- Explore Kurashiki’s preserved canal that dates back to the Edo Period
- Stay in a traditional Japanese ryokan with hot spring baths
- Visit the Himeji Castle, Japan's most spectacular castle
- Go island hopping the Seto Inland Sea
- Dine on the famous and delicious Kobe beef
When to go:
From $16,000 pp
- Explore Tokyo’s most famous sights with your private guide
- See Mt. Koyasan and Mt. Yoshino from above on a helicopter flight
- Stay in a traditional rice terrace villa
- Experience the Seto Inland Sea from a luxury floating inn
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Itsukushima Shrine
When to go: